Thursday, January 14, 2010

11 Jan 2010

This is a “homework assignment” that I gave to Shantel Smart last week. Elder Wiggins and I baptized her about 3 months ago. “homework” is something that I am doing with all of my investigators now. I have found that it works really well, it holds people accountable for their commits and we as missionaries are really able to help people keep their reading commits. In stead of just shoving a book mark into 3 Nephi 11 and asking them to read and pray… I am giving them homework assignments with questions and steps to follow. It really helps people learn how to study and have spiritual experiences on their own. It helps them develop a deep love and understanding of the scriptures. Thus making a lifelong conversion more likely! I’m sure that you are impressed with Shantel’s answers to these questions and she has only been a member for 3 months! It has been working really well with all of our investigators and we have a lot of people that are progressing towards baptism. Each homework assignment is different (tailored to the person) some are really deep like this one and others are much more simple. The steps for this assignment were;
1) Pray out loud, tell god what you’re going to do, ask for the spirit…
2) Read the questions and than read Alma 42…
3) Write your answers to the questions…
4) Pray out loud again (ask god if your questions are correct)
5) Ponder for a few minutes and than read Alma 42 again…
6) Re-write or revise or add to your answers…
7)Pray out loud, Ask god if your answers are right, thank him for helping you learn…

Shantel was so excited when she finished the assignment. She actually did it twice. It was a really spiritual experience for her. And her testimony has grown a lot. I just thought that I would share this with you all. Elder Tyler Olsen I will send you a lot more information on this method of committing. I have a few case studies on it.
Elder Michael Olsen

No comments:

Post a Comment